(Written by Geneva D. – gid617)
Since cards make up a sizable portion of the Ninjago spinner sets, it’s nice to know what cards come with each character before you buy them.
In case you’re new to the Ninjago Spinjitzu cards, Crown cards are cards that are in play as long as you have your spinner-crown. Golden cards can only be played if your character has a golden weapon. Scroll and Metallic cards simply have different backgrounds. Also note that SP means Spinjitzu Power and refers to the bars on the card – you must have as much or more SP on your character-card as on a battle-card to be able to play it.
After checking multiple reviews and blurry images on the new Ninjago spinners I was finally able to decipher the new Ninjago cards as follows. (Images from eBay seller ezAuctionDropOff.com. See their listings here.)
Zane’s Cards – from #9554 LEGO NINJAGO Zane ZX set:
- Crown of Ice – Build or remove a crown on any spinner. (400 Ice SP)
- Black Ice Shield – Add all of the pieces included in booster-pack. (400 Ice SP)
- Stroke of Genius – Add SP 500 to any two of your powers until a player wins. Immediately play another card. (300 Ice SP)
- Counterattack – Cancel opponent’s card. (800 All SP)
Mezmo’s Cards – from #9555 LEGO NINJAGO Mezmo set:
- Snake Whips – Add all of the pieces included in booster-pack. (400 Earth SP)
- Sacred Flute – Opponent cannot play cards or use face-up Crown-cards until a player wins. (400 All SP)
- Inner Peace – Add SP 300 to all four of your powers until a player wins. Immediately play another card. (300 Lightning SP)
- Upper Hand – Choose one of the opponent’s face-up cards and use it. (300 Ice SP, Golden)
NRG Cole’s Cards – from #9572 LEGO NINJAGO NRG Cole set:
- Provoke Anger – Opponent can only play fire-cards during spin. (400 Fire SP, Golden)
- Snake Quake – Reduce opponent’s Earth-power by SP 100. (500 Earth SP, Crown)
- Sensei’s Teatime – This spin is a tie. Both players spin again. (300 Earth SP)
- Master Archer – Set up two cards. Each player spins twice. Knock more down to reclaim weapon. (400 Earth SP)
NRG Jay’s Cards – from #9570 LEGO NINJAGO NRG Jay set:
- Chain Lightning – Lay down four cards. Touch more to retrieve weapon. (200 Lightning SP, Scroll)
- Sizzling Sphere – Opponent plays with all cards – including those in their hand - face-up. (400 Lightning SP, Crown)
- Swap You – Swap your spinner with opponent until a player wins. (200 Lightning SP)
- Dual Burst – Add 200 SP to any two of your powers until a player wins. (0 Fire SP, Golden)
NRG Kai’s Cards – from #9591 LEGO NINJAGO Weapon Pack:
- Rings of Fire – Cards in figure eight. Spin longest for weapon. (200 Fire SP, Scroll)
- Spitfire Snake – Throw Fire Cards from discard-pile during spin. (500 Fire SP, Crown)
- Strike Down – Win if both characters fall. (300 Lightning SP, Golden)
- Sensei’s Whistle – This spin was a tie. Spin again. (400 Lightning SP)
Chokun’s Cards – from #9591 LEGO NINJAGO Weapon Pack:
- Lava Puddle – Lay down card. Opponent loses a face up Crown-card if spinner touches card. (300 Fire SP, Metallic)
- Gateway Guardian – Prop up two cards with LEGO bricks, spin from opposite sides at same time. First one successfully through the cards reclaims weapon. (200 Ice SP, Scroll)
- Circular Saw – Opponent looses a card every time you win. (400 Earth SP, Crown)
- Elemental Strength – Add SP 100 to all four of your powers until a player wins. Immediately play another card. (300 Ice SP)
Spitta’s Cards – from #9569 LEGO NINJAGO Spitta set:
- Use Surroundings – Throw card before spin. Opponent looses if spinner touches it. (1200 All SP, Crown)
- Panic Stations – Opponent cannot use face-up Crown cards. (400 Lightning SP, Crown)
- Electronic Maelstrom – Lay down card. Opponent looses if spinner touches it, then remove. (400 Lightning SP, Metallic)
- Assist – Add SP 400 to any two of you powers until a player wins. Immediately play another card. (300 Fire SP)
Fangdam’s Cards – from #9571 LEGO NINJAGO Fangdam set:
- Fire Fields – Reduce opponent’s Ice-power by SP 100. (400 Fire SP, Crown)
- Crushing Bolt – Stand up card. Opponent loses if spinner knocks it down, then remove. (300 Lightning SP, Metallic)
- Unsteady – Opponent’s character must stand on one leg until a player wins. (100 Ice SP, Golden)
- Crown of Fire – Build or remove a crown on any spinner. (400 Fire SP, Golden)
There are many interesting Ninjago Spinjitzu spinner cards here, especially Dual Burst, with only 0 SP! It does make sense, though, because Chill Charge (included in Kendo Zane) has 200 SP and does the same thing (add 300 SP to any two powers), but it isn’t golden. Whenever there are repeats of the same card Golden and not Golden, the difference is always 200 SP. At any rate, it’s a card that any character can play!
Another remarkably good card is Use Surroundings – it’s basically an untouchable throwing-star. And of course, since you’re throwing it during the spin, it’s almost impossible (unless you have very bad aim!) for your opponent not to touch it. Not only that, but it is a Crown-card! In other words, it lasts until your opponent takes your spinner-crown off – and if it takes your opponent three spins, he may never have the chance! 8)
It’s also interesting that Golden Spinjitzu cards now seem to be distributed fairly haphazardly, unlike in the 2011 releases – now many Ninjago characters have none, and Fangdam has two! Plus, I find that Ninjago booster-packs and snake-spinners have a tendency to come with better cards than the rest of the ninja – unfortunately!
You may want to check out LEGO Ninjago Spinners – New Pictures, where I included a list with most of the new Ninjago character’s SP. Since then, I have been able to figure out Fangdam’s SP: 500 Fire, 300 Lightning, 200 Earth, 100 Ice. I also saw the SP of the battle-cards included in Lizaru and Bytar’s booster-packs; Lizaru has one card with 400 Lightning, one with 1200 All, one with 300 Fire, and one with 100 Fire. Bytar’s are 500 Earth, 400 Earth, 400 Earth, and 300 Fire. I’m still not sure on Slithraa’s though.
So, which is your favorite Ninjago spinner-card? Are you planning on getting some of the new spinners or do you already have them? Which of the new characters is your favorite? Also, you might want to head over to the LEGO Ninjago section for more Ninjago news, or see my previous posts here:
- Fun with the LEGO Ninjago Spinjitzu Cards
- LEGO Ninjago Spinners – New Pictures!
- NINJAGO Season One DVD Now for Pre-Order!