You might remember the recent review of the #42030 LEGO Technic Remote-Controlled Volvo L350F Wheel Loader by one of our regular readers (see: LEGO Technic Volvo Wheel Loader Highlights). Since then we have been contacted by Volvo’s marketing department and they have sent some additional information about the collaboration between Volvo and LEGO, including a very interesting video. Check it out below! 🙂
You have probably seen on TV how they make mega factories and gigantic machines and in the following video you can watch how LEGO Technic shrank a giant Volvo L350F Wheel Loader into a miniature model. The film follows the development team behind LEGO Technic’s biggest machine for 2014 – from both LEGO and Volvo – charting their passion for getting their latest model as close a representation of the real machine as possible. It also follows LEGO Technic’s Niels Henrik Horsted, head of marketing and design manager Jeppe Juul Jensen as they conduct hands-on research, visiting the Volvo factory and a construction site and operating a L350F themselves. The real version of the alternate model of the LEGO set – the Volvo A25F Articulated Hauler – is also visible in the video.
That looked like a fun, isn’t it? Especially driving those big machines around! With 1,636 individual pieces and the largest individual element ever created for the brand (the giant bucket at the front), the remote-controlled LEGO Technic Volvo L350F Wheel Loader can lift more than 1kg in its bucket and drive over challenging terrain day in, day out – just like the real thing. “We tried to make it as realistic as possible, so it drives, steers and lifts the load just like the real thing,” says Jensen. “You can also remove the oil filters, the radiator-door swings out, pistons move and the engine is painted green, just like in the real thing.” Here are some additional specs on the LEGO versions of these giant machines:
- Features a detailed 6-cylinder Volvo-green engine with moving pistons and fan, articulated servo steering, working lift arm, and a massive, tipping bucket
- Activate the double remote-controlled LEGO Power Functions motors for powerful, simultaneous driving and digging action – just like the real machine!
- Includes the following LEGO Power Functions components: a servo motor, an XL-motor, a large motor, a medium motor, a battery box, 2 remote controls and 2 infrared receivers
- Bucket reaches over 14” (38cm) into the air!
- 2-in-1 model: rebuilds into a Volvo A25F articulated hauler
- Volvo L350F (with bucket lowered) measures over 9” (23cm) high, 22” (58cm) long and 6” (16cm) wide
- Volvo A25F measures over 9” (23cm) high, 19” (50cm) long and 6” (17cm) wide
If you are interested in this LEGO Technic model, you might want to read the previous full review here: LEGO Technic Volvo Wheel Loader Highlights, and if you would like to get yourself this LEGO Technic set, it is available at the Online LEGO Shop.
So what do you think? How do you like these LEGO Volvo models? And what do you think of the design process? Did you ever dream of becoming a LEGO designer building such awesome LEGO sets? And how about driving these giant machines? Would you like to give that a try? Feel free to share and discuss in the comment section below! 😉
And you might also like to check out the following related posts: