As we have discussed last month (see: New LEGO Model Shop Looking for Team!), a brand new LEGO model shop is opening in central Florida by Merlin Entertainment. The shop will be designing and building models for new and existing LEGOLAND parks for all over the world. I have met the team behind this new endeavor at BrickWorld Tampa last year, and there are some exciting development and expansions LEGOLAND is gearing up for. If your dream is to become a LEGO model builder, and you would like to (or already) live in sunny Florida, you might want to become part of this interesting adventure. The new model shop is 15 minutes away from LEGOLAND Florida, and is in the last stages of opening. 🙂
The positions we have talked about previously have been filled, and now all they are looking for are some model builders. Here are the details of what they are looking for: “This individual builds LEGO models in our off-site model shop at MMM Studios. Must have LEGO building experience and be able to design and build sturdy, accurate, complicated, safe and installable LEGO models for a wide variety of LEGOLAND attractions including miniature scale models and/or life sized organic models from prototypes, diagrams or computer generated instructions. This position requires strong communication during design and building of models, good organization during the completion and documentation phases of the projects and a willingness to complete all tasks necessary to creating and installing models and displays.”
The position requires previous experience in LEGO model building, (architectural and/or sculptural), basic computer knowledge, a good knowledge of LEGO parts, good communication skills, ability to give and receive constructive criticism, ability to work in a team and a positive attitude. Strong focus, concentration, good craftsmanship, patience and a sense of humor are a must. Artistic education, background, or experience helpful but not required. Education required is high-school diploma or equivalent. Other requirements are to have a valid driver’s license and safe driving record. Must be willing to travel throughout the US and internationally for events, training, repair or installations. Position requires a pre-placement physical. Responsibilities include:
- Builds 2D and 3D LEGO models including but not limited to miniature scale models and/or organic life sized models from supplied prototypes, diagrams or computer generated instructions (Brickbuilder software) within time allocated to the best of their abilities.
- Communicates with Lead Designer, Designer, Lead Animator and/or Supervisor during the Model or Animation Brief and as questions or challenges arise to make sure models and animation meet expectations and requirements.
- Coordinates with Animation Technician on steel, audio, visual and mechanical needs for both static and animated models.
- Builds complicated glued LEGO models in timely and safe manner, following guidelines and training in production, techniques, documentation, standards and policies.
- Communicates with Lead Designer and/or Supervisor to make sure models meet expectations and requirements.
- Inspects glued models to ensure a sturdy, high quality, safe model that has everything it needs for installation completed.
- Photographs glued models and adds photos to project folders.
- Assists Designer or Lead Designer in 2D or 3D computer artwork or modeling as needed.
- Immediately identifies management of safety related concerns and keeps safety #1 priority.
- Must be able to react under pressure or in an emergency in a calm and rational manner.
- Ensures that all model work areas are kept clean, neat and orderly at all times.
- Keep tools, machines, and all other company equipment in clean and good working order.
- Keeps informed and updated on techniques, LEGO parts and methods for LEGO Model Building.
- Attends weekly staff meetings for purpose of directing, informing and training.
- Completes daily time and material (T&M) cards prior to leaving the property.
- Follows LEGO-established MC handbook policies at all times.
You can apply for the LEGO model builder position, see the requirements and qualifications, and apply for the positions at this link. You may also share the link with friends and family who you feel might be interested in this role. And if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask in the comment section below. I’m in communications with their Production Manager directly and can invite him to respond to your inquiries. 😉
And you might also like to check out the following related posts: