The LEGO Ideas team announced back in February that the Central Perk Coffee of Friends project was approved, and will be made into an official LEGO set (see: Latest LEGO Ideas Review Results & More!). The project was originally submitted to the LEGO Ideas platform by French LEGO fan Aymeric Fievet (a.k.a. Mric76) back in the fall of 2016. It achieved the required 10,000 supporters two years later, and since its approval early this year, LEGO’s own designers have been working on refining the model. Today, we can finally see what the official set will look like! You can find the press-release, set description, pictures, and other details below. Check them out and let’s discuss!
Celebrating its 25th anniversary since its debut in 1994, Friends remains one of television’s most beloved series. One of the highest-rated shows on television in its original network run, the series still remains a perennial go-to in syndication and on streaming services, where it continues to be a smash hit worldwide. A favorite among critics and fans alike throughout its 10-season run, Friends not only won the Emmy for Outstanding Comedy series, but also garnered Emmy Awards for series stars Jennifer Aniston and Lisa Kudrow. From Warner Bros. Television, Friends follows the lives and loves of a close-knit group of friends living in New York City: siblings Ross (David Schwimmer) and Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), along with friends Chandler Bing (Matthew Perry), Phoebe Buffay (Lisa Kudrow), Joey Tribbiani (Matt LeBlanc) and Rachel Green (Jennifer Aniston). Friends was created by David Crane and Marta Kauffman, who executive produced the series with Kevin Bright through Bright/Kauffman/Crane Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.
For any LEGO fans who may feel their building is always stuck in second gear… there is something new coming that’s perfect for you – as famous TV show Friends arrives for fans with the new LEGO Ideas Central Perk set. Celebrate the 25th anniversary of Friends, the legendary American TV sitcom, with this highly collectible LEGO Ideas set! This wonderful LEGO recreation of the café TV studio set is packed with authentic details, making it a must-have Friends memorabilia item for fans. The iconic seating area with a couch, armchair and two chairs for the friends is removable for easy play. And check out the stage where Phoebe performed her songs on guitar (and where Ross once played his keyboard and everyone except Phoebe thought he was terrible). The 7 new-for-September-2019 LEGO toy minifigures of Ross, Rachel, Chandler, Monica, Joey, Phoebe and Central Perk’s long-suffering manager Gunther each come with accessories to role-play famously hilarious scenes. An ideal Friends-themed gift for your own friends and family who love the TV show, this hot toy is great for play and will grab attention when displayed in any room.
The LEGO Ideas fan designer for Central Perk was Aymeric Fievet from Normandy, France, who is passionate about TV series, movies and cartoons, as well as LEGO products. When designing the Central Perk set, Aymeric said, “The challenge was to visualize passages of the series to allow me to recreate the furniture and the characters in as much detail as possible. The assembly of this model took me about a week after finding the necessary references. During the voting period, the set was changed several times!” LEGO Ideas offers fans the opportunity to submit their own brick creations with the chance to have their concept brought to life with the help of LEGO master designers and a share of the profits.
- This LEGO Ideas set includes 7 new-for-September-2019 minifigures: Ross Geller, Rachel Green, Chandler Bing, Monica Geller, Joey Tribbiani, Phoebe Buffay and Gunther.
- The Central Perk café construction toy features the iconic main seating area including a sofa, armchair, two chairs, and a table. The service area features a brick-built coffee machine, service counter, cash register, cookie jar with two cookie elements, menu board element, and other authentic items. A stage for musical performances with a sofa is also included, as well as extra seats and tables. The 3 pillar (lamppost) elements are in a new-for-September-2019 dark-green color. There is also an umbrella stand with two umbrella elements, window with ‘CENTRAL PERK’ logo decoration, entrance doors, and two brick-built TV studio light rigs with translucent light-style elements.
- The seating area for the show’s star characters is removable for easy play.
- The minifigures each have their own items inspired by the TV series, including Ross’s brick-built keyboard, Rachel’s tray and coffee cup, Monica’s muffin, Joey’s pizza box, pizza slice and ‘man bag’, Chandler’s laptop, Phoebe’s guitar, and Gunther’s broom.
- Other accessory elements in this café playset include a newspaper, 15 coffee cups, a ‘Reserved’ sign, and 3 vases and buildable flowers.
- Set comes with a booklet with building instructions and information about the fan creator and LEGO designer.
- Measures over 4” (11cm) high, 11” (29cm) wide and 8” (22cm) deep.
- Recommended for ages 16+.
- Includes 1,070 pieces.
Below are a few more pictures of the set, showing you some additional details of both the interior and the exterior. I assume that the decorated pieces are printed, as usual in LEGO Ideas sets, although we won’t know for sure until the set is released.
The #21319 LEGO Ideas Central Perk set will be available directly from LEGO from September 1st, 2019. Prices are as follows: US $59.99 – CA $89.99 – DE €69.99 – UK £64.99 – FR €59.99 – DK 649DKK (Euro pricing varies by country). For more pictures, details, and to purchase the set, visit the LEGO Ideas section of the Online LEGO Shop.
What do you think? How do you like the #21319 LEGO Ideas Central Perk set? Is this a project you voted for? Do you like the details, minifigures, and accessories? Are you planning to purchase the set? Feel free to share your thoughts and discuss in the comment section below!
And you might also like to check out the following related posts: