LEGO fans have been excitedly waiting for the LEGO Castle sets scheduled to be released later this year. LEGO has been taking a break from the Castle line, most probably due to the release of the LEGO Lord of the Rings sets. The last LEGO Castle set released was the #10223 LEGO Castle Kingdoms Joust set released just about a year ago.
Now LEGO Castle is coming back! As we discussed already in the Summer & Fall 2013 LEGO Sets – First View post reporting from the London Toy Fair, there will be five sets in the upcoming LEGO Castle line.
- #70400 LEGO Castle Forest Ambush – two knights pulling a cart loaded with gold being ambushed by two baddies from behind a tree.
- #70401 LEGO Castle Gold Getaway – red/black carriage being pulled by a black horse, a small chunk of a castle, two knights and a crossbow-cart.
- #70402 LEGO Castle The Gatehouse Raid – a section of castle wall with a gate, two knights guarding it, a red/black catapult, two baddies, one horse.
- #70403 LEGO Castle Dragon Mountain - damsel in a small prison on top of a spiral staircase, two knights with catapult, a red/black wizard and a red dragon.
- #70404 LEGO Castle King’s Castle – large castle with drawbridge, three turrets, 3 or 4 knights plus the King, and three baddies with a siege-machine.
At the London Toy Fair taking pictures and videos were not allowed so we only got set names and descriptions. However at the German Toy Fair, happening this week, pictures and videos are fine to be taken, so we should be seeing more an more images and videos uploaded in the next few days.
Joe Meno from BrickJournal is at the event taking pictures, and you can also search YouTube for videos. Brickset and other LEGO forums and blogs are also discussing the event, so keep your eyes and ears open.
So, back to LEGO Castle, here are a couple of images of the largest 2013 LEGO Castle set, the #70404 LEGO Castle King’s Castle. as you can see, there are going to be two warring factions; the blue/gray knights with lions on their shields, and with the lions on their shields, and red/black knights with dragons on their shields. (Click image for larger view.)
Okay, so let’s look at this image in detail: first of all, as you can see, it has quite a LEGO Classic Castle feel to it. The Lion Knights have the old LEGO Lion-head emblem on their shields, all the knights are (both the good knights and the baddies) wear LEGO Classic Castle helmets and armor pieces.
There are new LEGO elements as well, though seamlessly integrated into the LEGO Classic Castle design; the horse is the new kind with the movable back legs. The horse’s barding is using a new mould, allowing the horse to kick back (which the old mould – although fit on the new horse – couldn’t facilitate). The horse’s head armor is also new, as the new horse has a differently shaped head. Also, notice the crossbow the Lion Knight is holding in the tower at the back. It appears to be a new design!
Looking at the 2013 LEGO Castle minifigs, at this point we only have a close-up of the Lion Knights. As you can see they have very nice printing both at the front and back of their torsos, some have printing on the legs, and the armor pieces are printed as well. (Click image for larger view.)
Also, notice the dragon and the Castle Tower on top of the hill at the background of the first picture. They must be from the #70403 LEGO Castle Dragon Mountain. Pretty awesome, huh?
So what do you think? How do you like the 2013 LEGO Castle theme so far? Do you find any other interesting details on the pictures? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below!
And you may also like to check out the following related posts:
- Summer & Fall 2013 LEGO Sets – First View (London Toy Fair)
- Summer & Fall 2013 LEGO Sets – First Pictures
- 2013 LEGO Sets Available Now!
- More 2013 LEGO Sets Are Now Available!