Contributor page: David – HP
Hello, I’m David, but I like people calling me HP. I have been a LEGO fan since I was 2-3 years old and I’m still very active in the hobby (I’m now 13). I did go through a period when I didn’t build with LEGO though, referred to by LEGO fans as the Dark Ages. Right now I participate in PhLUG, the only Philippine LEGO Users Group recognized by LEGO. 🙂
When I was 2-years-old my family temporarily moved to Japan. My older brother was a big LEGO fan, and the two of us would often go and look around Osaka for LEGO. My favorite LEGO set from this period was the #8876 LEGO Knights Kingdom II Scorpion Prison Cave. I also remember having plenty of the LEGO NBA sets, and even some of the older LEGO Adventurers sets.
One thing I really liked in Japan was the LEGO scoop. There was this giant table at the LEGO store full of LEGO, and you would pay around 1000 yen (if I remember correctly) for a scoop. I don’t know if that was considered cheap or expensive, but I do remember getting a lot of LEGO elements from there that I still use today.
I was going to an international school at this time and they had LEGO in almost every room. This helped to fuel my passion for building with LEGO. Other kids would even fight with me as I would get the Darth Vader minifig every day before playtime and hide it in a cabinet. So when playtime came around I was the only one who knew where Vader was. 🙄
When I was around 6-years-old my family moved back to the Philippines. Thankfully, my parents brought all the LEGO with us. But being a LEGO fan here was harder than in Japan; prices are extravagant (usually 1.5-3 times more than the USA price). My craving for LEGO was only satisfied when my dad was able to pick some up while traveling out of the country. Due to these restrictions my Dark Ages began. Although my LEGO collection never left my room, I lost interest in playing with them. I thought it was time consuming and I had more important stuff to do. For two years I lost interest, and those two years I still regret.
But this is why I love theBrickBlogger. One day I searched online for LEGO – not exactly sure why – and ended up finding this blog. TBB put me back on the right track. I got enthusiastic about the LEGO hobby again, and pulled out my LEGO sets that have been collecting dust. I also started visiting other LEGO websites to keep up with LEGO news; Smashing-Bricks (which is now gone), FBTB, Brothers-Brick, Eurobricks, and Brickset.
I also thought to search for other LEGO fans in the Philippines. I found Philippine Bricksters, but since they had an age restriction and I couldn’t join, I got discouraged. Then, one day I saw this huge LEGO Christmas display in SM North Edsa (it’s a mall here), and realized that there must be lots of other LEGO fans around, so I continued searching for a local community I could join. Finally, earlier this year (May 2013) as I was scrolling through Facebook and randomly searched for “Philippines LEGO”, I found PhLUG. Right now this LEGO fan community has been contributing a lot to my hobby and I greatly enjoy it.
I’ve been posting on theBrickBlogger for awhile now, and I hope to continue writing here in the future. Its a joy to see that the community likes and appreciates my contributions, so thanks everyone! Below is a list of a few more things about me (in random order):
- Fikko (another regular contributor here) and I have met in real life.
- I’ve been to LEGOLAND Malaysia twice now, one being a VIP trip.
- I know how to swim, but don’t really like to.
- I try to keep my LEGO collection as organized as possible (OCD much?).
- I’m member of my school’s robotics team.
- I really love the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy as well as the Back to the Future movies.
- I used to love reading, now not as much.
- I dislike the smell of taxis.
- As I lived in Japan, I love Japanese food – especially Takoyaki.
- I love computers and everything related to them, like programming.
- I’m part Chinese and know how to speak the language… 你好!
- I’m not proud of my hand writing; it looks like a 5-year-olds’.
- I used to be scared of heights, but not anymore.
- I’m allergic to those fluffy stuffed animals.
- I love to act.
- My brother wanted to name me Goliath – how ironic! 😀
- I like to whistle.
- At this point I’m running out of facts…
- I won our school pageant once by singing the Numa-Numa song (I did the funny version based on this video).
- I can get along with anyone, if I put my mind into it.
- When someone asks me what I want to be when I grow up, I always answer, “I’m not sure yet”.
- I used to speak Japanese, but Chinese has replaced it.
- I represented the Philippines in the LEGO Build Your World event in LEGOLAND Malaysia. This is where I met Fikko.
- I don’t have anything else to say anymore…
So that’s about all I can think of sharing about me. Want to know more? Feel free to ask and get in touch in the comments section below. 😉
HERE IS A LIST OF POSTS BY HP:
- LEGO Building Technique: Forced Perspective
- 2013 LEGO Polybag Sets for Your Collection!
- A New Generation of LEGO Mindstorms!
- LEGO Super Heroes Batgirl Minifig Revealed!
- LEGO Users Groups in South East Asia
- LEGO Collectible Minifigs Series 12 Details
- The Great LEGO Challenge – MOCtober
- Featured LEGO Fan: John Raphael Guzman