The LEGO Group and Bandai Namco are celebrating the 43rd anniversary of PAC-MAN with the reveal of the new vintage #10323 LEGO ICONS PAC-MAN Arcade set – one of the most famous and nostalgic arcade games of all time.
Originally released on May 22, 1980, by Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc. (previously Namco) in Japan, the PAC-MAN video game became a cultural icon. After 40 years of being a part of pop culture worldwide through games, TV shows, music, and more, the LEGO Group has collaborated with Bandai Namco to bring the 80s classic back in brick form. This collaboration led to the unique discovery that PAC-MAN’s famous yellow color was inspired by the LEGO Group’s signature color.
The new LEGO set design shows an arcade version of PAC-MAN and allows you to recreate some of the legendary ghost-munching moves of the game. In addition, builders can create large colorful brick versions of PAC-MAN, BLINKY, and CLYDE that rotate on a base and can be displayed on top of the cabinet or separately.
Once complete – you can light up the coin slot with the included light-brick, plus there is a small vignette of a female minifigure playing PAC-MAN on an arcade, hidden inside of the cabinet. The model measures 12.5 in. (32 cm) high, 10 in. (25 cm) wide, and 7 in. (17 cm) deep, and the set comes with 2,651 pieces.
PAC-MAN FUN FACTS:
- On May 22nd, 1980, the first focus test was held for PAC-MAN, where members of the public got to see the yellow character for the first time.
- PAC-MAN is yellow, as designer Mr. Iwatani was inspired by the iconic yellow of the LEGO brick.
- The character shape is based on a pizza with a slice missing.
- The game was released in Japan on June 29, 1980 – before being made available in the rest of the world.
- A PAC-MAN cartoon hit appeared on TV screens in the 80s.
- Buckner & Garcia released the hit single “PAC-MAN Fever”, which went as high as 9th place on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart in March 1982.
- In 1993, Billy Mitchell of Florida became the first person to ever achieve the game’s perfect score of 3,333,360 points. In order to achieve a perfect score, the player would have to clear all 256 stages without a single miss, and consume all PAC-DOTs, fruits, and ghosts (consume 4 ghosts with each POWER PELLET).
- In recognition of PAC-MAN’s 1980 release, where it installed 293,822 arcade units within 7 years, the Guinness World Records acknowledged the game as the “Most Successful Coin-Operated Game” in the world.
Describing the process of designing the new set, Sven Franic, LEGO Designer comments: “A cultural icon for the past 40 years, it was a delight to bring PAC-MAN to brick life. We are always looking for new and exciting ways to bring classic gaming experiences to life. Our team of talented designers worked tirelessly to capture the essence of the beloved PAC-MAN arcade machine in brick form, from PAC-MAN himself to the colorful, maze-like environment he inhabits. Every detail was carefully considered and crafted, resulting in a one-of-a-kind LEGO creation that captures the magic of the original game while adding a playful new twist and a couple of Easter eggs – in true video game style. We are thrilled to share this incredible build with the world and cannot wait to see the joy it brings to fans of all ages.”
Adding on the collaboration, Aadil Tayouga, Director of Licensing and Business Strategy at Bandai Namco Europe says: “Bandai Namco and the LEGO group share a lot of common values, notably aiming at providing fun for all people through quality products. In addition to these values, since PAC-MAN yellow was actually inspired by the LEGO Group yellow, it made the connection even more natural. It has been a tremendous collaboration with the passionate teams at the LEGO Group and we hope that fans will enjoy this kit.”
LEGO VIP members will have early access to purchase the #10323 LEGO PAC-MAN Arcade set from the 1st of June from official LEGO stores and the Online LEGO Shop, and the set will be available to all from the 4th of June at the recommended retail price of $269.99 / €269.99 / £229.99/349.99 CAD/399.99 AUD/6299.9 TRY/114990.0 HUF/2299.0 CNY. For more information, visit the LEGO Icons section of the Online LEGO Shop.
What do you think? Are you excited about the new PAC-MAN set? Feel free to share and discuss in the comment section below!
And you might also like to check out the following related posts:
Wow, so cool! I want the small arcade for Sure!
It looks like the logo on top is printed. I don’t know about the rest.
Oh boy, Billy Mitchell.
That’s gonna open a can of worms!
That’s huge, but…
I’m mostly interested in that little minibuild with the minifig in the bag. I’d be down for a polybag…
I hope they are going to release a designer video for this. I’m not clear on the play features.
Not a designer video, but just a short video ad, but it does show the play functions. It was posted by LEGO on Twitter. Here is the link: https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1660559964748886016